"Gladys Friday" ~ Healthcare Comedienne

"Gladys Friday" ~ Healthcare Comedienne
"Medical Monroe Pose Fighting Hot Flashes"

Friday, May 27, 2011

"Senior Prom"

"Bernice Beauchamp" (aka me) is "Gladys Friday's" (aka me) older sister. She was invited to be an "Undercover Patient" this week for a nursing home. She arrived via wheelchair and while patiently awaiting her admission forms she was approached by a gentleman / resident and was invited to go on a DATE! The conversation went like this:

"Would you like to go with me to the prom tonight?" (Mr. Resident)

"Sure, that would be nice, I didn't get to go to my high school prom" (Bernice)

"I'll pick you up at 7" (Mr. Resident)

At 7 pm on the dot, sure enough ~ there he was...in his wheelchair...at the door of my new room. He was wearing a nice shirt ~ even sporting a tie and had a GIANT SMILE on his face...and I do mean a GIANT SMILE! Rolling in our wheelchairs side by side down the hallway, we entered the room filled with music, a disco ball and lots of curious eyes. Glenn Miller's song began to play, "In The Mood" when he leaned over his wheelchair and asked me for a kiss. I leaned over and whispered to him, "Only if you'll go back to your room and get your TEETH!"

While he was wheeling very quickly down the hallway to his room....."Bernice" put the pedal to the metal and OUT THE DOOR she went!!! Leaving AMA!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Will I EVER get to go to a PROM? ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ I'm not giving up!

Following the "Undercover Patient" Assessment ~ Denise (aka me) returned to report her findings and hold a professional in-service education session for the staff. Comments following Denise's class:

"Thank you for making me laugh & cry. You have an amazing gift."
"You were awesome! Thank you for making me look inside myself."
"Awesomely talented and full of heart"
"One in a million!"
"What a joy you are! Thanks for being "real" and sharing your Dad's story. We can book you a revival ~ LOL"
"You performed fantastically! You are such a unique & wonderful woman!"
"I loved you Denise! This was great and I can't wait to see you again!"
"This was the best way to teach! THANK YOU for sharing your heart!"
"You helped me see how I CAN make a difference"
"Thank you for reminding me of my choices"

"Gladys" also entertained this week for The Cramerton Seniors & had a great time! Comments that followed were:

"Gladys, what a wonderful "thing" you do! I loved it! It was fabulous!"
"I admire you very much for using your gifts and talents in such a wonderful way"
"It couldn't have been better"
"This was just what I needed!"
"You are therapy!!"

Thank you again for your comments:
Denise Price Thomas
denisepricethomas@gmail.com
704-747-8699

No comments:

Post a Comment