"Gladys Friday" ~ Healthcare Comedienne

"Gladys Friday" ~ Healthcare Comedienne
"Medical Monroe Pose Fighting Hot Flashes"

Friday, July 13, 2012

My....things sure have changed!

True Story as told by Denise ~ ("Gladys" boss)


It's hard to believe that 41 years ago today I received a most beautiful gift, a brown eyed little baby girl with a beautiful smile, delivering enough love to overflow my heart.  Of course, things were a little different "back then!"   I, along side my Mother and my sister arrived at the hospital early morning July 12....suitcase in hand.  Upon check-in, the receptionist took my suitcase and me....ONLY me to the elevator.  I asked if my Mother and sister could go with me......and her response was, "No mam"   Oh no!  You see,  I really knew nothing about birthing babies! But I would soon find out first hand.   I was taken to the "ward" where there were 7 filled beds and one empty....BINGO!  That must be mine.  


She sat my suitcase down and gave me a gown, one I had never seen.  It must have been a "second" because it wasn't even sewn in the back.  Oh well, I've never been a whiner or one to complain so I just put it on like she said....with a smile.  


I asked why those other ladies were so loud.....she said, "oh, they are just having babies....you will be loud soon!"  At that moment, I promised myself I would NOT be loud....so when that time came, I placed a pillow over my head....and no one heard my loudness.  


THEN.....here comes another nurse.....razor in hand?!??!?  OH MY!  I had no idea the barber shop visited your room, did you?  (BTW ~ a shave and a haircut for 2 cents is not true, even "back then") And then.....the nurse came back in with this bag filled with warm water....yep!  You guessed it!  I thought I was a little young for a colonoscopy but again, "I knew nothing about birthing babies!" 


After many many hours.....I was given another gown and the opportunity to go down the hall to see my family.  I put the gown on and off I went....only to fill the hand of the nurse grab me and drag me back....telling me to turn THAT gown around so that it would cover what the other one didn't.  I knew there was a draft!!  


Well, the next day.....I had a beautiful baby girl....my brand new bundle of pride and joy....and I thought everything was going great....UNTIL....."SERGEANT NURSE" walked into my room and said, "ROLL OVER,  I GOTTA GIVE YOU A SHOT!"  ~  I asked what the shot was for.  She said, "TO DRY UP YOUR MILK!" and I said....."I've been here since yesterday, I've had a baby....I haven't had anything to eat or drink, not even milk....I've had no milk, I promise! "  I was given the shot anyway!   


Right then, my nurse, her eyes did roll 
I am certain of the story she must have told
Of a day not so long ago
And a beautiful baby girl and her mom only sixteen years old

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my "little girl" today ~  reflecting on the song that I sang to her: "On the day that you were born the angels got together....and decided to create a dream come true"   How proud I am of you!  I love you Julie ~ 


July events: 


LIFT ~ Ladies In Fellowship Together ~ Clover, SC 
      "Mirror Mirror On The Wall....Who AM I After All?" 


MEDAC ~ Urgent Care Facilities Wilmington, NC
       
Kiser Center ~ Bessemer City, NC


Professional Polish Project


Motivational Makeover for the Medical Practice 

Comments about Denise:
"Denise is a previous practice administrator that has "been there" in almost every situation"
"A very strong woman! Thank you for your honesty" 
"You gave us great information laced with great humor" 
"Denise is very encouraging and really does make a difference"
"I wish I could be around you every day!" 


www.denisepricethomas.com
denisepricethomas@gmail.com
704-747-8699




No comments:

Post a Comment